This Italian-inspired salad is a quick workday meal. Packed with fiber, potassium, and your daily dose of omega-3-rich fats, this is a great dish anytime you need a healthy no-fuss meal.
- 1 cup Anasazi beans soaked overnight and cooked before serving or use a 15-ounce can organic beans of choice, rinsed and drained
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil (Capizzano Olive Oils & Vinegars Robust CA Mission)
- One 12-ounce wild salmon filet *
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ½ English cucumber, thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 tablespoon chopped fresh mint
- 4 Bibb or Boston lettuce leaf cups
- ¼ cup fresh orange juice
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 2 tablespoon our Lemon Sicilian White Balsamic Vinegar
- 3 tablespoons our Blood Orange fused extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon Sea Salt
freshly ground pepper
1. Place the beans in a salad bowl. Set aside.
2. Heat a ridged grill pan or a barbecue frill. Coat the grill or pan with extra virgin olive oil. Grill the salmon. Cook for 10 to 15 minutes, turning once, until cooked through; use a sharp knife to check for doneness. When done, cool five minutes and divide into four sections.
3. Coat a nonstick skillet with a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil. Sauté the onions until translucent. Add the garlic and continue to sauté for 1 minute more. Stir into the beans of choice. If you use dried beans you can cook the day before. Add the cold cucumber, bell pepper, and mint, Toss the salad.
4. In a small bowl, whisk together the orange juice, zest, Lemon Sicilian balsamic vinegar, Blood Orange EVolive oil, Makai Sea salt , and pepper; toss with the salad. Place the lettuce cups on 4 plates. Top with salad and place the salmon alongside. Serve immediately.
*Boneless Chicken can be substituted for lean protein.