Black Rice and Vegetable – Warm Salad
- Prep Time15 min
- Cook Time35 min
- Total Time50 min
- 1 - 1/2 cup of vegetables (your choice of Brussel sprouts, broccoli, string beans, carrots)
- 2 ½ cups diced butternut squash
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- ¼ teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- ¾ teaspoon chili powder
- 1 cup Capizzano’s Venere Black Rice
- 1 cup Borotti/Lecchi legumes, cook as instructed on package first. Or use 1 can kidney or cannellini beans, drain and rinse.
- juice of 1 lime
- 4 ounces feta, crumbled or diced
- Pepper to taste
- Drizzle a generous amount of your favorite Capizzano Olive Oil. My favorites are Milanese Gremolata or Garlic Olive Oil
Preheat oven to 425°F. Toss the vegetables and butternut squash with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil, along with the salt and chili powder. Spread the seasoned veggies in a thin layer over a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake for 25-35 minutes, until golden, tossing halfway through.
While the veggies are baking, cook wild rice according to package instructions, then drain oﬀ any excess water.
In a large bowl, combine the cooked wild rice with the roasted corn and squash. Add the black beans, pepper, lime juice, and queso fresco, along with the remaining 2 tablespoon olive oil. Taste and adjust seasoning (salt and pepper) if necessary.
Divide into 4 portions and serve warm or chilled. I like it warm.