Root Vegetable Casserole Dish
- Prep Time15 min
- Cook Time35 min
- Total Time50 min
- 4½ cups cooked borlotti beans or kidney beans
- Capizzano’s robust extra virgin olive oil, generous amount
- 10 pearl onions
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup diced carrots or 12 baby carrots
- 1 cup diced turnip or 9 baby turnips with greens washed and chopped
- 1 cup dice parsnip
- 1 cup diced celery
- 6 medium shiitake mushrooms, cap only, thinly sliced
- 3 large white oyster mushrooms, cap only, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup Pomodoro Basil tomato sauce
- Seasoned breadcrumbs
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Place the drained beans in a large bowl.
Heat a large sauté pan over medium high heat. Add the extra virgin olive oil (EVOO) of your choice then add the pearl onions and brown. Season with salt and pepper. Add to beans in bowl.
Repeat with the carrots, turnips, parsnip and celery root cooking in batches until they are golden and seasoning as you go. Reduce the heat if the pan gets too hot and starts to burn.
Add the mushrooms and cook until the juices are almost dry. Add to the beans. If you have turnips greens cook them now in a little EVOO until wilted and add them to the bowl.
Add the tomato purée to the pan and stir until it bubbles. Add 1 cup of water to the pan, stir well and pour over the vegetables in the bowl.
Transfer the beans and vegetables to a large 4-quart baking dish – casserole dish. Top with the breadcrumbs.
Serves 6 to 8